I have really come to love systems – in my business, in my life, in my kids activities, basically…everywhere. By the way, when I talk about systems, I mean I like having simple, step by step procedures mapped out so I can save time getting things done. I map out things I do every day and I usually do so in the form of a list, chart, mindmap or some other type of visual. It keeps my thoughts organized and helps me jump right in to knock out a task when I need to.
Ever thought about the last time you made out a to-do list? How many of the items were things you’ve had on your list before? If you think about it, you can probably take some of the things you do constantly and make a master list to start from. That way, you just add the dates, add any new tasks, and you’re all set.
Well since I’m into lists, I thought I’d have some fun sharing some of my favorite reasons for being a fan of to-do systems.
- you can get to information in a central place
- systems help streamline the way you communicate
- when you have a to-do system, it’s easier to delegate some of the steps to someone else
- you can produce records whenever you need them (e.g. tax documents)
- increases your level of confidence and that of your clients when they can rely on consistency
- you can generate more referrals because of increased trust
- no more looking for sticky notes (this is a biggie for me!)
- to-do systems allow you an opportunity to automate things you do everyday
- have more time with family/friends when you get things done
- when you have good systems, you have more time doing what you love instead of making more lists!
Which of these reasons is a favorite for you? Share your favorite to-do system or tool below.